Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Day After

Tuesday morning was pretty rough. I tried to find some magic juice but I could only find Gatorade in 250mL formats (stupid Korea). Fortunately most of my day consisted of reading articles so I never had to exert myself too much. The real problem started at 9pm, the time at which I had committed myself to a basketball game the previous day.

Basketball is huge here. "Do you like basketball?" is another question that I often get. I always respond that yes, I do like basketball. They then immediately assume that I'm a terrific player because I'm tall and from the West. At one point people talking about how I used to play for my high school team (not sure how that one started). I'm a decent basketball player but I haven't touched a ball since last summer and haven't played a real pick up game since high school, but these are Koreans, I have at least 6 inches on most people, how bad can it be?

Ends up they're pretty good and all I succeeded in doing was making a fool out of myself. I figured I'd just hang around the key and use my size, but these Koreans are bloody fast and they play dirty. At one point I had one guy standing behind me trying to take my knees out by pushing in on the back of mine with his. I did make a few baskets and my team lost both games by a single point, but for each basket I made either missed a shot or gave the ball away. It's been almost a month now, I haven't been asked to play again.

No comments: